3.30.2010

scrumptious oatmeal raisin cookies

oatmeal raisin cookies Cake is great, and so is pie. Cobbler is nice. But, I really love a good cookie. What should a cookie have to make it so very, very good? Nothing makes a cookie so very good as a little crisp on the outside with a soft and buttery inside. A little bit of surprise is also extra nice, whether it's chocolate chips, nuts, or raisins. And I'll admit that there is no comparison between homemade cookies and nearly anything bought, unless of course you can enjoy them freshly out of the oven. There has to be that little something that makes you coming back for more, yes? There has to be at least a million different versions of recipes for chocolate chip cookies, but finding a really delicious recipe for a cookie without chocolate can be a bit of a challenge. Sometimes the perfect oatmeal cookie is just what is on order. It has a little sugar, a little spice, and similarly is very, very nice. I've made these cookies for a few years now, thanks to Anna Olson, but more recently the recipe has taken a twist; when I didn't have all of the ingredients, but sometimes you just can't stop the urge to make some cookies. I use maple syrup instead of molasses, and light brown sugar instead of demererra, and a couple little tweaks here and there. Luckily, they turned out better than ever. Oh darn. I do have one apology; these cookies will not last long. Not because they will become dry or stale, but because you probably will need to make a double batch. Your doorbell will ring with long lost visitors, and perhaps even strangers. Be prepared. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies 2/3 cup softened butter 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed 1 egg 1 tbsp vanilla 1 tbsp maple syrup 1 cup flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg (preferably freshly grated) 1 cup slow cooking oats 1/2 cup quick oats 1 cup golden raisins 1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Beat together the sugar and butter, until well combined (I use an electric mixer, but this can also be done without. You will deserve at least one extra cookie straight away) 2. Add the eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup, and mix well to combine. 3. All at once, add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix to combine, but don't overdo it. 4. Add the oats, raisins, and then combine. 5. Prepare two large baking sheets with silpats, or parchment paper. I like to use an ice cream scoop to release the dough onto the sheets, but I do not fill the scoop. I fill the scoop 1/3 to 1/2 full, and then release. Shocker, I don't even press the dough down. Just trust me. 6. Allow the cookies to bake until just barely cooked on the outside, but still quite raw on the inside, approximately 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, and squish down with a spatula. Immediately, place back into the oven. This technique helps me to keep the inside nice and soft, but the outside of the cookie will have a hint of crispness. Bake another 3-5 minutes, about 10-12 minutes in total.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I love myself a good oatmeal cookie! My favorite recipe is similar but I use a mixture of dried cranberries and chocolate chips - I know...can't escape those darn chocolate chips!

Rowena said...

I envy your cooling rack! That is one thing that I have not seen here...where did you buy yours from?

gail said...

Rowena - oddly enough I found them at the grocery store. But it is a massive store...sadly too massive (without a lot of quality...)

Global Patriot said...

I still remember my mom putting oatmeal raisin cookies in my lunch box - much better that peanut butter or chocolate chip - and savoring one of those midday was the highlight of going to school!

Cheryl Arkison said...

You can't make oatmeal cookies without maple syrup in my opinion. Now I'm really craving cookies (my BIG craving when I was preggers myself).

Related Posts with Thumbnails