9.13.2010

brownies, to live for

brownies, to die for

These super-chocolatey (is that even a word?) and walnut brownies are from a fabulous book by Bev Shaffer, and is aptly named Brownies to die for! Of course, I want to make everything cover to cover. I mean who isn't a sucker for Rocky Road Frosted Brownies, or brownies with All the Time in the World Caramel Sauce?  Got me, hook, line, and sinker.

I like the Old Fashioned Brownies for the everyday brownie, that is actually quite extraordinary.  No special ingredients required, and no ensuing brownie strike just because there's no chocolate in the house.  Cocoa it is, and it's amazingly delicious.  Everyone who has a taste will beg for the recipe, but will probably start by begging for more.

Old Fashioned Brownies adapted from Bev Shaffer

1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup softened butter
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1.  Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray a 13x9 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2.  Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together all of the ingredients, except for the walnuts, and chocolate chips.  Mix those in after everything else is thoroughly combined.
3.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool before cutting.  Enjoy, and do share... at least a few!

p.s.  The batter will seem impossibly thick, but it squishes in nicely with some wax paper.

p.p.s.  These can also be made into a most excellent thicker brownie in an 8x8 pan.  Bake for approximately 40 minutes.

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Chocolatey is a word if you ask me!! Those brownies look SENSATIONAL!

gail said...

So glad you think so, on both counts!! I LOVE your new (to me) profile pic!

Jillian Camwell said...

Just cocoa?! Oh my gosh, I can't wait to try!

gail said...

Well... I suppose there are chocolate chips - but it seems like every brownie recipe calls for a different dark chocolate with a different percentage of cocoa content, I can't keep up!

Esther said...

Do you dump all the ingredients in a bowl and mix or do you whisk the dry ingredients and add the rest one by one? Thank you, I can't wait to try this out, it seems simple enough for me to make in a short amount of time.

gail said...

Esther - no, no - that's too much work! Just dump and mix.

Esther said...

http://x3baking.blogspot.com/2010/10/one-bowl-brownies.html I made your brownies! They turned out pretty nicely, considering that I reduced the butter and sugar by a lot because I just can't help it. I hope you don't mind, but I posted the recipe on my blog. Thank you. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails