5.28.2010

super moist chocolate cake & to-die-for nutella frosting

moist & rich chocolate cake There is absolutely nothing that can be said to make me stop you from liking this cake. I suppose it is possible for you to like the nutella frosting more than the cake itself, but that remains to be seen. It truly is to-die-for. You don't have to take my word for it. But you should. ridiculously chocolatey chocolate cake The only thing wrong with this recipe, is that you probably haven't tried it yet because you are still licking the screen, and I really can't help you there. I'm still dealing with withdrawal. super moist chocolate cake with to-die-for nutella frosting No it doesn't look like much, but a little mouse, aka husband, thought that he would generously get me a piece of cake before I had taken pictures of it. How thoughtful. Well, for me, and perhaps not so much for you, since it doesn't look quite as pretty as it really, truly was. And you know, Jeff was being helpful since pregnant women are supposed to eat their greens and all. Yes, there is some sautéed puréed spinach in this cake. If you can taste it, you have issues. Serious issues. Even Dad can't taste it, and that is of nearly epic proportions. ridiculously good chocolate cake I can't really blame Jeff for taking a few pieces of cake out of the pan, as he did also enthusiastically frost the cake. Yes, that means he got to lick the beater. Not that I ever, ever, do such a thing, but I slightly envious of someone who does. chocolate cake with nutella frosting Super Moist Chocolate Cake & To-Die-for Nutella Frosting Ingredients: 2 cups flour 1 cup sugar 3/4 cup cocoa 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp kosher salt 2 eggs 1 cup buttermilk (or make your own) 1/2 cup canola oil 1 cup boiling water including a shot of espresso, or a cup of coffee 1 tsp vanilla 3 tbsp steamed and very finely pureed spinach (I keep a container full in the freezer) 1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, this seems low, but will help to keep the cake from rising in the middle and cracking. 2. Grease or spray a 9x13 baking sheet. 3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. 4. Add the eggs, buttermilk, canola oil, coffee, vanilla and spinach to the dry ingredients before mixing. 5. Mix together just until combined. 6. Pour into the prepared baking pan, and place into a pre-heated oven. 7. Wait 60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. To-Die-for Nutella Frosting Ingredients: 1 cup nutella 1 tbsp softened butter 1 cup icing sugar 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream 2 tsp vanilla 1. In an upright mixer with a whisk attachment or food processor, thoroughly combine the nutella with the butter. 2. Slowly add the icing sugar, and scrape down the sides. 3. Add the heavy cream, and the vanilla. Combine. If the frosting appears too thick, add a touch more cream. 4. When the cake is cool, ice the cake carefully with a spreader. This frosting will be thick, but not so thick that it is impossible to ice the cake. 5. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Joanne said...

I am just so amazed that there is spinach in this! And excited. I'm on the edge of my seat (mostly so that I can get in closer to lick the screen). It looks delicious.

Jillian Camwell said...

Can you taste the espresso/coffee in the cake? Can you do it with just boiling water? I really dislike mocha/coffee/espresso flavour in anything. But the cake looks soooo good!

gail said...

Funny, here I think everyone will be worried about the spinach!

With only one shot of espresso, you definitely can't taste it. It just brings out the chocolate flavour, it's not supposed to be a coffee flavoured cake. A little coffee with chocolate just makes it super rich. But boiling water will definitely work in a pinch.

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

This sounds...and looks INCREDIBLE. I have recently made some chocolate cupcakes with Nutella in the centre (please check out my blog if you are interested), but the cake was not as rich as your cake here seems. Moist cake is always the best. I never knew a little coffee could enhance the richness and chocolate flavour - definately going to try this next time I make chocolate cake! Also, what a great way to incorporate some healthy greens!

Alina said...

hahaha did you really add spinach?! funny :)) I'm pregnant too but perhaps I'm not as conscientious about having my portion of greens in every meal :) and hey, you wrote about your aversion to sweets, I feel the same, but I guess I couldn't resist a piece of this super moist cake!!

gail said...

Alina - oddly enough I've been adding spinach to chocolate cakes ever since I had heard of it. You can also add applesauce, pureed blueberries, or pureed bananas. I just like that I can purchase a big swack of spinach, steam it, puree it, and shove it in the freezer. Then I just take some every time I make a chocolate cake.

Other than it taking a little time, I figure why not?

Cheryl Arkison said...

That might be the only way you could get me to eat Nutella. Jsut not a fan.

Anonymous said...

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well. birthday cakes in los angeles

Related Posts with Thumbnails